Dogs and chocolate don’t mix
Most of us have heard that the worst food you can feed a dog is chocolate. Why is this so?
Chocolate may not be the most toxic food your dog could eat, but it can certainly make your furry friend very ill. The two main culprits in chocolate that are harmful to your dog are caffeine and theobromine; these chemicals stimulate the central nervous and cardiovascular systems, and dogs (and certain other animals) can’t metabolize them well as humans.
Dogs that ingest chocolate (even in small amounts) may experience symptoms such as diarrhea, vomiting, muscle tremors, seizures, extreme thirst and a rapid heart rate (which can ultimately be fatal to the dog)
If you know or suspect that your dog has eaten chocolate, contact your vet immediately. There are several steps that can be taken to try and halt the consumed theobromine from reaching the bloodstream, but you need to seek professional help.
Bottom line: Make sure your dog never eats any chocolate (dark, milk or white). Very small amounts may be tolerated, but why take the risk?